Update Workplace Chat desktop app
Change platform:Computer Help
The Workplace Chat desktop app is being updated for all current users between July 6 2022 and July 29 2022.
How to update to the latest version of the Workplace Chat desktop app
The updated version of the Workplace Chat desktop app is not supported on older versions of some operating systems:
- Windows 8.1
- Versions of Windows 10 1809 (October 2018 update and earlier)
If you’re using an unsupported version of your operating system, you will need to update it to use the updated version of the Workplace Chat desktop app. You will see a message in the Workplace Chat desktop app informing that you are using an unsupported operating system.
If you’re using a supported version of your operating system, you will not need to do anything. The update will happen automatically.
Due to some issues with auto-upgrades for macOS users, we encourage system admins to download the new version of the app starting July 6 and release it to the other users in their Workplace. If your company already provides a download link for the Workplace Chat desktop app, this link will be updated with the new app version on July 6.
If you face a problem
If you are face any problems with updating the Workplace Chat desktop app, you will still be able to access Workplace Chat by using:
- Chat on Workplace in a web browser
- Workplace Chat Android or iOS apps
Improvements and new features
There are several improvements and new features with the updated version of the Workplace Chat desktop app.
- 4 times smaller: the new version of the app will take up less space on your desktop.
- Faster start up times: less time waiting for the app to open.
- Reduced crash rates: a better experience when using the app.
- Better message filtering: for example, you can choose to just view all unread messages.
- Easier pinned chat management: you can more easily prioritize pinned chats by dragging and dropping them in the order you want them.
- Improved video calling:
- Better video quality with reduced freezing
- Better audio quality on slower networks
- HD video quality for 2-person calls only
New features include:
- Workplace notifications: you can enable or disable Workplace notifications through the Workplace Chat app.
- Expanded selection of emoji reactions to messages: you can react to messages with any emoji from our emoji library.
- Check for updates: you can click Check for updates to see if you are on the latest version of the app and automatically update.
- Shared links: you can see a list of all links shared in a chat.